Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 127

    The Freedom Trail

    November 30, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    Today we hit the trail, The Freedom Trail, a 4 km path through downtown Boston that passes by 16 locations significant to the history of the United States. Follow the yellow brick road - not quite. Follow the red brick line as it winds between Boston Common to the Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown. Stops along the trail include simple explanatory ground markers such as the site of the first public school, graveyards, notable churches and buildings, and a historic naval frigate, the USS Constitution.
    Some of the sites we saw yesterday but we followed the path religiously starting at the Tourist Centre, through the down town area. Into Little Italy and across the Charles River into Charlestown - and what a lovely Charlestown - a bit classier than ours! Along the way we read our little guide book so we understood the significance of each site and of course we read all the plaques that gave us a more in depth explanation of many of the sites. You could pick all the tourists. They’d be the ones walking the line, guidebooks in one hand and a camera in the other.
    Was a great day.
    Read more