Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Apremont-sur-Alliers

    October 9, 2022 in France ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    Today was a full day touring the tiny medieval village of Apremont-sur-Allier which borders on the Alliers River. There are just 70 residents! The village has won the coveted “Most Beautiful Village” award. Our tour guide was Christian, who is an acquaintance of Barbara Jo’s. He is a retired teacher who spent much of his career teaching French in Africa. He has a home here and also one in Paris. Christian was so charming and had a great sense of humor. Being a teacher, he was helping us with pronunciation. He told me twice that I have an ear for it! Now, if I could just speak it!

    Dating back to 1467, the chateau in this village has been in the same family since 1722! The Le Parc Floral is an incredibly enchanting botanical garden that opened in 1967 and is meant to blend the chateau with the village. Along with the beautiful plant life, there are waterfalls, a Chinese Pagoda Bridge, a Turkish pavilion named Belvédère which was a Russian structure. Nestled in the middle of this park is Medieval style home.

    It was a beautiful day to sit on the Brasserie du Lavois patio where we lingered for a few hours with lunch, wine, and conversation. The main meal is at noon, so I selected the salad with goat cheese, beef filet with mushroom gravy and crème brûlé. Delicious! On the way home we stopped at the canal and watched how the lock works.

    We returned at 4:30 and my bottom is dragging! I’m doing a quick journal before we have our apéro dînatoire (like an elaborate charcuterie board), and I am sure that I’ll be in bed by 8:30!
    Read more