Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Wenchang temple (文昌宮)

    March 26, 2019 in Taiwan ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Wenchang is one of the many beautiful temples in Taipei that a tourist would never think to step into. It’s not on any map or in any tour guide! Wenchang was, as far as we could follow (Great aunt assumes that Mommy's Chinese is much better than it actually is), a sage (saint?) dedicated to academic endeavours. Students and their families come to offer prayers for good outcomes on exams, getting into good universities, etc.

    She thought it would be particularly appropriate for the kids as we are embarking on this year of self-study and Mommy-assisted learning. We didn’t burn any incense (inhaled plenty of it though!) but still offered up a few wishes and thoughts at the great central burner. Davy recommitted himself to striving for good grades even though it's not always as easy each year as the year before (kid’s obviously a genius for figuring that one out!) and Meg asked for help staying focused on whatever task may be at hand. Oh and Davy wished for a Tesla and - a wife!

    Great aunt Yumei gave the kids a protective piece of paper in a red packet to be worn around the neck - yes, a great ignoramus description. We’ll have to find out more from Nai-nai later about what this actually is. Great aunt said something about wearing it all the time, but then also having the possibility to take the paper out of the packet, burn it and put the ashes in your bath if things really go wrong?! Really need to refresh the old Chinese listening comprehension.
    Read more