Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Beijing eats

    April 13, 2019 in China ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    So glad that Uncle Ken was able to overlap his stay with ours and show us around a bit! We most especially had lots of fun dining experiences and even Poppy had to concede that there is such a thing as decent vegetarian Chinese food.

    The first night's attempt at Da Dong for Peking duck netted us the discovery of a new job: The restaurant was so popular that they had hired a guy to sit at their old location to let people know that it had moved - apparently a sign just would not do and a more personal touch was called for!

    We ended up at a restaurant across the street from Uncle Ken's office. The brigade was overjoyed when we showed up on this quiet night, as they actually got to do some work. The kids were excited to see the glass-windowed kitchen transform from deserted to bustling just as soon as we placed our order! Davy also discovered that he really likes nicely done tender braised beef brisket.

    The second night at Madam Zhu's was very tasty, particularly the kao fu, bamboo shoots, and braised pork. Davy also noticed a few things on the “specials” menu that were very special indeed - maybe next time - or maybe not!

    Later on that week, we enjoyed another fine meal together with the Otts at Xiao Wang Fu. It is definitely the more the merrier when it comes to Chinese food! We had Peking duck, meigan cai pork belly, and many other goodies - great to see all the kids out in high spirits and finishing the night with full bellies and no complaints.
    Read more