Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 191

    Inspiring day at Mercedes-Benz World

    August 7, 2019 in Germany ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    After braving the torrential rainfall with one umbrella between the lot of us, drowned rats Mommy, Davy and Meg finally arrived at Mercedes-Benz World! To be fair, the only reason we got soaked is because we decided to hit the Bäckerei Herbert Benhelm located on the other side of the train station. It seemed like a tiny detour on Google Maps - and it was hardly even drizzling when we set off - but enthusiasm levels quickly dropped as the storm clouds opened up on us, plus we had to cross a massive 20+ track train station on an exposed pedestrian overpass - both ways! At least we discovered that Herbert bakes very tasty treats indeed - almost exclusively using spelt flour too.

    Mercedes-Benz World was a great visit enjoyed by all. Really well done audio guide, packed full of interesting stories that the kids found to be just at the right level of engaging. It felt a bit like a “Choose Your Own Adventure” where all of the outcomes are good. We could wander individually and explore exhibits that we each found interesting, with an agreement to reconvene before moving to the next floor.

    The diversity of Mercedes-Benz' portfolio (or Daimler, as it is often also referred to in Germany) is far more immense than we had previously thought. It was a bit suspicious that the company claimed so many of the major developments associated with the modern automobile - down to the invention of the engine itself! But even so, the contributions that Daimler and Benz' companies have made to transportation, design, safety and style are undeniable.
    Read more