Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 163

    Rollin’ down the (Mekong) river

    September 14, 2023 in Laos ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    20 years ago Kylie and Dale went to Thailand and heard from people we met that floating down the Mekong in a tyre tube in Laos was a crazy good time…

    We couldn’t make it there then so finally ticking that off this time was a must do especially for Kylz ☺️

    So we squeezed in a quick visit to Vang Viang via fast train.
    We did get off to a bit of a rocky start when the tour desk at the hotel told us we wouldn’t enjoy it as it was cold this time of year and “for young people”. (India and Ariah hid thinking that the unwitting tour organiser was going to cop a severe dressing down for their cool, hip, and young parents!!)

    Ignoring that fun-sponge, we trekked off in the morning through town and made our own arrangements directly and even got free local, homemade snacks as part of the deal!! Take that tour guy!! 👅

    One very bumpy ride in the back of a truck later and we were dumped in the river about 3km out of town, wished good luck, and set on our way in the cold, running waters of wet season Mekong 🤣

    The bars weren’t open as we went at the respectful time of 11am and they only opened for the…young (*cough*) people about an hour after that, but we didn’t mind.

    It was relaxing and fun and we saw some great scenery on the way down and had no issues…At least until we tried to get out at the end (that bit was less well explained to us) but we got there in the end as the guide at the other end chucked us out a rope weighted with a water bottle and dragged us to shore.

    Floating down the Mekong in a tyre tube ✅

    (See the full video here: https://instagram.com/p/CxK91COS1tG/)
    Read more