Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    George Town, Malaysia

    March 20 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 91 °F

    Off to tour a snapshot of George Town, capital of the Malaysian island of Penang. George Town has long been an important port between Malays, Indians and Chinese that all share a past here, and it is reflected in the culture and architecture. Went to the crown jewel of Buddest temples: Kek Lok Si Temple (largest in Malaysia). Situated upon the hillside with impressive walkways up to the top.

    Hopped off the tour and decided to spend the day checking out the unique street art. Hand painted color murals on building sides throughout the city along with the wire art that depicts the history of George Town. Love all the Pedal Trishaws that people use to get around town.

    Came across the firehouse with its small museum inside. At one point in the city's history, the police and fireman were one and the same as seen in the wire art piece. Check out the bicycle with the firehouse in the bike baskets.

    At lunch, we had a wonderful conversation at Backpackers Street Restaurant with the waiter over how they are reducing plastic waste by using recyclable utensils and cardboard for carryout. The town considers it each person's responsibility to start the change they want to see. Lovely empowering attitude.
    Read more