Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Verona to Bellano on lake Como

    June 9, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    After loading up our rucksacks and making sure that Jacqueline didn’t have the lightest rucksack after day 1…we undertook the short 5 minute walk to Verona train station, where we had bought tickets for our trip to Bellano. But we were going to spend a few hours in Milano. We managed the trains easily and got the correct train to Milano. Andrew was moaning because he was under the impression that the Doumo was a shopping centre and a very expensive one at that. Meanwhile his travel companions were happy to let him think this!!

    On arrival at Milano Centrale (which was built in a tribute to Mussolini) we dumped our bags at the luggage centre paying a small fortune for the privilege….we hadn’t discovered nanny bags at this point…..we managed to find the underground system and bought tickets to the Doumo a few stops later with Andrew expecting a shopping centre- we came up the escalator to the wonderful sight of Milan cathedral and with an audible “wow!” From Andrew - everyone else had a wee laugh. One of those moments that will live with us forever. The cathedral itself was awesome even for the atheists among our group. With Team Disabled getting priority entry - it was a really pleasant morning.

    Lunch was at a ramen bar not too far away, and was excellent. Lots of tourists and perhaps a pickpocket paradise it was a bit intimidating at times. We got entry to the cathedral museum too, but the collection was vast and I think we had perhaps had a bit much religious symbolism at this point to fully appreciate the works of art on offer…and with a further train trip and a replacement bus to negotiate….thoughts turned to how we were going to get to Lake Como.

    We moved back to Milano Centrale and after waiting for an age on the most uncomfortable seating ever…..we boarded a very crowded train to Lecco (replacement bus would take us the rest of the way)….the train was stuffy and unbearable hot and with a Dutch lad setting with his legs wide open directly opposite Michelle it was great when left Milano some 35 mins late.
    Read more