Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Settling in

    March 2 in Guatemala ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Today we travelled back to Panajachel to stock and on some essentials as that is the closest decently supplied supermarket. A lancha ride across the lake, rucksacks loaded up, back across the lake and the trek up to our house.....we wouldn't want to forget anything!! Naturally the kids have now eaten most of what we bought!!
    We organized with our host to use the sauna (temazcal) this afternoon. Her mother came to prepare it while I was out for a walk. Barry informed me on my return it was ready to go so we jumped in....apprehensively!! The fire was lit and there was a huge pot of water set in front of it....the smoke nearly killed us, my eyes wouldn't stop watering and it wasn't very hot. I gave up after 10 minutes, Barry stayed and was joined by Rowyn.
    15 minutes later the lady arrived back....it was not ready... She quenched the fire, the smoke disappeared and she added fragrant herbs and pots of water to pour on the coals...it was brilliant!!
    Most of the houses here don't have showers so families use the saunas to have steam baths every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. It's surprisingly effective with buckets of water to rinse off and a drain in the floor.
    Read more