Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Harris Beach State Park, Brookings

    December 7, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 54 °F

    We took our time leaving Sunset Bay, knowing that technically we weren't supposed to check in to our reserved site at Harris Beach until 4PM. Leaving at noon and taking our time driving south along the coastal highway, we arrived just after 3PM.

    Wondrously, the skies were open enough that we could take a walk on the beach with Mattie before settling in for the evening. Rain had been predicted for our entire trip so walking the beach in decent weather was a huge plus.

    We at supper at home, knowing that the following night would be our big dinner celebration at O'Hollaran's, a famous steak house in Brookings. I slept incredibly well with the wild winds rocking the MoHo and the sound of the crashing waves on the rocks below the cliffs of the park.

    The next morning was quiet and beautiful, with some open skies and again, no rain predicted until later in the day. We had time to hike down the South Beach trail, and with my two sticks I managed to get both up and down the trail without too much difficulty. Definitely need the sticks for balance, and the downhill is a bit rough, but uphill isn't much of a problem. We took our time walking in the sands and letting Mattie play as we soaked up the intensity of the very high seas generated by the storm.

    That evening it began to rain, and it was hard to make the decision to go to the light show in the rain. We decided to first fortify ourselves with dinner rather than getting all wet at the show and then going to eat. It was a good decision since the bar was filled and all the bar tables and restaurant tables were reserved. We were lucky enough to get two seats at the bar and had a fabulous dinner. I haven't had a steak that good since we were in Reno years ago. Rib Eye with Blue Cheese. Mo had a New York that was excellent as well. It is sometimes hard to get a good steak and we were in the mood for it. Great dinner in a very festive environment. The bar is all decorated top to bottom with lights and garlands, and the atmosphere is so much fun. We met a man sitting next to us who is from Grants Pass, and turned out that he also is a geologist. Every Christmas when we come to this bar for our ritual Irish Coffee after the light show, we meet someone interesting.

    It was pouring hard when we drove to Azalea Park for the show. The Coastal Holiday web site answered my messenger question almost immediately, saying they had to remain open even in the rain for all the out of town people who had come to see the show.

    For only $2.00 we walked into a wonderland of more than two million lights...yes 2,000,000 LED's lighting the shrubs and pathways, with Christmas music piped throughout the park to accompany the happy cries of little kids and old grandmas in their wheelchairs. I forgot my sticks this time, but the ground wasn't too rough and I managed. Thank goodness Mo doesn't mind me grabbing her arm now and then to balance myself!

    Even with raincoats and umbrellas, we were soaked when we returned but very happy that we had walked the show. With all the rain, I made no attempt whatsoever to take any photos, but we have lots of them from our previous visits to Azalea Park for the Christmas lights.

    That night as we slept the rain let up a bit and the ocean didn't sound so incredibly loud. I slept well again, all cozied up in the MoHo with warm blankets and the little heater coming on as needed. It wasn't hear as cold as the previous night as well.

    The next morning the rain let up long enough for us to pack up and to travel the 115 miles home along highway 199 toward Grants Pass
    Read more