Satellite
  • Day 3

    le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini

    May 8, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We had booked tickets to this and it was very interesting and worthwhile. Basically you walk through an archeological dig after descending to the Roman era. It is dimly lit although the pathway is level. First you explore the home and spa of a wealthy noble. going through the various stages of the Roman bath houses - first sauna, the caldarium (hot), then tepidarium and frigidarium. All manned by slaves burning wood. Next to this palazzo they discovered huge granite columns and further that Tiberius's column just outside was previously the centre of a temple of very substantial proportions. Rome's current elevation seems about 15 feet above the level where Roman Rome was built.

    On top of the toppled Rome ruins a Renaissance era palace had been built that’s been the seat of the Province of Rome since 1873. The archaeological remains of several lavish ancient Roman houses have been turned into a fascinating multimedia ‘experience’. Descending down, you walk through the ruins, often on glass floors that let you look down to the foundations and floor and view on the walls and ceiling a virtual reconstruction using light, sound effects and projections of “reborn” walls, rooms, peristyle, thermes, salons, decorations, kitchens, furniture of the patrician “Domus” of imperial age.

    Official site:
    https://www.palazzovalentini.it/domus-romane/in…
    Read more