Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Santa Sabina

    May 11, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Walked up a hill just past Circus Maximus past the Rome Botanical garden where the roses were in bloom to this church. There were some monks/brothers dressed in robes talking to groups of people. This area is very pretty as the buildings are not so close to each other, there are "backyards" so to speak and it was favoured by the notables in Roman times.

    The Basilica Sanctae Sabinae is located on the Aventine Hill; it is one of the city's oldest churches and dates back to 422-432. It is built on the site of the home of Sabina, a convert to Christianity and Roman martyr who was later declared a saint. The founder of the church was Peter of Illyria a monk who gives his name to the square and adjacent convent. The structure of the church is a classic rectangular-style with light colored décor and simple design which gives the space an airy feel. The church underwent several changes over the years. It was at one point incorporated into the Crescenzi family fort; in the 16th-17th century restored in the baroque-style and later in the 1800s became a steam laundry. It was under Mussolini that Antonio Munoz restored the church for the last time. Many layers of history and architectural styles are evident in the structure.
    Highlights of the church building include the 5th century cypress wood portal with scenes from the Bible; 24 church columns which came from the Temple of Juno Regina; 9th century chancel furniture; a fresco by Taddeo Zuccari and large selenite windows which shed light on the church mosaics. On the floor of the nave is the city's only surviving mosaic tomb dating back to c.1300.

    Article:
    https://romanchurches.fandom.com/wiki/Santa_Sabina
    Read more