Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Giardino degli Aranci

    May 11, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Nex to the church, is a lovely enclosed garden which belongs/belonged to the church but now is a lovely spacious park space with a gorgeous view and there really are orange trees. Seems a particularly romantic spot.

    The Giardino degli Aranci, Parco Savello or Garden of Oranges is located on Aventino Hill, it is one of the city's most romantic locations and often used as the backdrop for wedding photos. The park is believed to have been created when Saint Dominic brought an orange tree from his native Spain and planted it in the vegetable garden of the adjacent Savelli Castle which housed a monastery. The sapling flourished and additional orange trees were planted. Saint Catherine of Siena is thought to have used the tree's oranges to make candied fruit for Pope Urban VI. The monastery's garden became the park we known today when it was redesigned by Raffaele de Vico in 1932.
    From the Garden of Oranges you can see the Basilica of Santa Sabina and the drawbridge and towers which once formed part of the Savelli Castle. The central promenade leads to a terrace at the highest point of the park where there are sweeping views across some of Rome's most famous structures.
    Read more