Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Church of St. Sebastian

    April 22, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    The skies opened up on our way to our next stop, so we were happy to take refuge inside the first church of our 2023 trip.

    It was constructed in the 16th century as homage to the revered saint after a plague had struck the city and the residents pledged to build a church.
    The church is one of the finest examples of Azorean architecture, comprising of white walls with trimmings made with black basalt. The façade reflects the changes of styles in the architecture of churches in Portugal. It is said to be an amalgamation of Gothic, Baroque, and Manueline styles. It was hard to appreciate any Gothic elements: Romanesque style with arches, no large windows, or stained glass. One can see the Royal Weapons and a shield with the arrows, which depict the martyrdom of St. Sebastian, carved on the façade. In the south façade of the church, one can see two busts which apparently depict King João III and Queen Catarina. The exquisite altar crafted intricately from gilded wood is one of the highlights of the church. We came to appreciate that all the subsequent churches on the Azores have certain features: white plastered exterior walls with black basalt stones bordering, Romanesque style with detailed Baroque wood carved alters that are painted gold (except the Jesuit church alter, the largest in Portugal of its type but not finished, not painted). Porcelain figures are often seen, particularly of the Madonna and child both wearing crowns and there are usually a cluster of cherub faced angels looking at them from the base. Even more modern Madonna and child figurines in tourist shops portrayed them with a crown.
    Read more