Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8–10

    Wat Phra Si Samphet

    March 12 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    DRAFT FOR NANCY
    Wat Phra Si Sanphet, “the temple of the Buddha Si Sanphet” was the most important temple in the Ayutthaya Kingdom. Being part of the Royal Palace complex, the very large monastery with dozens of structures was used by Ayutthaya Kings only; it was a Royal temple without resident monks.

    The history of the Wat Phra Si Sanphet spans several centuries. The first structures were built during the 14th century. During the reign of later Ayutthaya Kings structures were added until the temple reached the peak of its glory in the second half of the 17th century.

    In 1491 King Ramathibodi II built two large chedis to enshrine the ashes of his father and older brother. Several years later the King had a 50 meter long viharn built East of the chedis to enshrine a large gilded image of the Buddha named Phra Si Sanphet. The temple then got its present name. Another three decades later a third chedi was constructed to enshrine the ashes of King Ramathibodi II.

    The temple was largely destroyed by the Burmese armies in 1767, leaving only its three massive stupas standing.

    Outside the palace area is a building housing a large Buddha that was covered for restoration.
    Read more