Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Asian Civilizations Museum

    April 26 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    We took the bus across Esplanade bridge and past The Fullerton Hotel and Merlion to the Museum where we cooled off for the afternoon. We recognized many things that are now familiar.

    With its mix of races and cultures, Singapore has earned a reputation for being the cultural melting pot of Asia, and this is showcased at the Asian Civilizations Museum. The ACM is the only museum in the region devoted to exploring the artistic heritage of Asia, especially the ancestral cultures of Singaporeans. Founded in 1993, and in its present building by the Singapore River since 2003. The galleries include the Trade and the Exchange of Ideas gallery including the Tang Shipwreck discovered in 1998 with 70,000 ceramics mass-produced in China about 800 CE bound for Arabia. Highlighted are Singapore’s history as an emporium for global trade, the Ancient Religions Gallery and the Scholar in Chinese Culture Gallery.

    We agreed that we had now had our fill of museums and followed the redeveloped river front to Clarkes Quay and enjoyed chili, onion rings and shrimp tacos at recently opened Hooters, an American chain's first location in Asia . This previous shipping and industrial area is now a vibrant tourist and nightclub area.
    Read more