Satellite
  • Day 15

    Truck Life

    July 27, 2017 in Tanzania ⋅ 🌬 28 °C

    Our truck is 21 years old, has six wheels and weighs about 9.5 tonnes. It's called Chui, meaning Leopard in Swaheli, as it is our drivers favourite animal. Our driver, Often, is fantastic and is from Nairobi. He has been doing this job for over 20 years, is very passionate and thorough with everything and keeps the truck immaculate and in good working order. It's not uncommon for him to do a full days driving then get under the truck to change something. We have an Australian guide, called Vicky, who is about the same age as us. She is really good at her job and is a good laugh too.
    The day starts with the cook group, who had cooked dinner the previous night, preparing breakfast 30 minutes before it is served , usually toast and porridge or eggs. Meanwhile everyone else is packing up their tent and belongings usually in the dark so we can get away early straight after breakfast. Often people pass the time on the truck looking out, listening to music, reading, sleeping or playing cards, using the big eskies as a table. Not always easy when the beach and sides are open. Roadside lunch stops are quick, with everyone helping the cook team to prepare it, either bean salad, pasta salad, salad sandwiches or cous cous. Some days we just pick up our own food from roadside cafes and stalls, like samosas. On the way to camp the new cook group will be given their budget and have to shop at either a market, roadside or supermarket and buy fresh ingredients for dinner, breakfast and lunch. Evening meals usually take up to 2 hours to prepare as alot of chopping is required. Meals are cooked on the three coal burners and require some careful management as hot water is also needed for washing up as well as cooking the meat, veg and carb dishes. Others put up tents, handwash clothes, sit around and chat, play cards or go to the camp bar. Most campsites are at a campground that is fenced in, has showers that are often heated by wood fires, or cold showers, toilets and a bar.
    Most people travelling are British, although we have some Australian, American, a Maltesse, Danish and an Ecuadorian with generally around 23 people. There are various places that people can join and leave.
    Read more