Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The Museum of Museums

    December 25, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Zagreb is a relatively small city, you can walk all the highlights easily in day, but for such a small city it punches way above its weight in one thing others don’t, Museums. In fact, it has 34 (that I know of).

    It’s my rustic guess that there is one museum for every 10 permanent residents so I wonder if the locals actually manage to see them all? Now that was an exaggeration but it’s not just the volume that is interesting but the subject matter of each one that puts it on a whole new level.

    A day of Museums could go a little like this …. Starting at the Cannabis Museum which is conveniently close to the Chocolate Museum, then the Mushroom Museum, leads you gently to the Museum of Illusions. Topping off the museum rave is the 80’s Museum. Nothing screams a good dance party like the synthetic sound of Ah Ha.

    The Police Museum has distanced itself and lives by the theory of what happens in Zagreb stays in Zagreb and there is nothing to see here.

    Unless you want to see yourself, then the Selfie Museum is right up your ally. Go ahead and snap like no one is looking. After all you have just spent the afternoon at the Museum of Broken Relationships and self care across social media is great therapy.

    What about history I hear you say? That’s covered too. The Jewish Museum will be a reminder of what we should never do again as this inevitably takes you to the War Photography Museum, a close cousin of the Railway Museum as I am told the rail system here hasn’t been upgraded since it was used in the Balkans War. I wonder whether the Mini train Museum can offer a glimpse of the future?

    There are also all the usual suspects that other cities can roll out around archeology and modern history but if you want to know about modern electricity pop into the Nikola Tesla Museum. He amped up the game after Thomas Edison.

    So in considering all this, I think there is a need for one more. A one stop shop for those of us just passing through. I propose to you Zagreb that your next Museum be the Museum of Museums where you have a little bit of each all in one place. Now that would be a game changer that even Tesla would tilt his Boater Hat to.

    My advice to the modern day visitor, pack some comfy shoes and keep your eyes open, it’s 34 now but who knows what is going to pop up next and that’s half the fun.
    Read more