Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    MV Explorer of the Seas, Off Miami

    March 1, 2020, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    The cruise kicked off with a launch party on the pool deck; each of the celebrity guests introduced themselves. The ship was scheduled to sail away during the party, but was a little late departing. The agenda for the cruise was packed with so many cool events, in addition to the standard experiences of a large cruise ship, you couldn’t possibly do them all, so when the ship did get underway in the early evening we were already immersed in Star Trek activities.

    Our first evening’s activities included queuing up to get into the gift shop for limited edition cruise merch, getting our photograph taken with Vaughn Armstrong (the actor who has played more characters in Star Trek than any other other), Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) and John Delancie (Q). We had our first dinner in the main dining room and were pleasantly surprised to find that a vegan menu is provided - it even has that rarest of things to find on a vegan menu: choices from more than one option.

    We followed dinner by seeing Anson Mount (Captain Pike) and Marina Sertis (Commander Deanna Troi) give a beautiful performance of Love Letters: a drama charting the tumultuous, life-long and mostly long-distance relationship between two friends and lovers through their correspondence. As host of the cruise, which falls in Voyager’s 25th anniversary year, Kate Mulgrew gave the ‘key note’ show the first evening in which she discusses her books and losing her parents. The dress theme for the evening was Starfleet pyjama party - Dan wore a Starfleet Academy t-shirt and weather, with shorts; other costumes included the Toy Story alien onesies, an awesome voyage home Spock and every kind of star trek dressing gown.
    Read more