Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    At sea north of Cuba

    March 2, 2020, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Our course overnight took us south-south-east from Miami, by the morning we had turned to follow Cuba’s northern coast which remained just below the horizon as we progressed toward our first destination. Three of our four port calls (other than Miami) were in a relatively small patch of the north eastern Caribbean, spanning just 370Km, but the first of these was around 1,500Km from Miami; in consequence our first full day of cruising was spent at sea, completing one of the two long legs entailed by that itinerary.

    First thing with the sun still sitting low to the cloudy horizon, Dan headed up to deck 12 to use the jogging track, only to find it closed due to high winds. After a brief exploration, he returned to the cabin with coffees, so not an entirely wasted trip. After breakfast with a couple of US Navy Veterans in the dining room we ran into the first major discord of the trip - which event to go to. We decided to divide: Alex went to ‘the Well’ podcast (because it had Brent Spiner) and Dan to Dr Erin McDonald’s Astronomy 101 through Star Trek session.

    Directly afterwards we met back up in the main theatre, where the Voyager panel in which Kate Mulgrew, Garant Wang, Jeri Ryan, Tim Russ, Roxanne Dawson and Ethan Philips discussing their time recording Star Trek Voyager, was just getting started. It’s rare to see so much of the cast assembled, but a special effort had been made for the 25th anniversary of the programme’s premier. Following the Voyager session we skipped the T-Shirt assimilation party to make our first trip to the Windjammer Cafe to grab some lunch before we got into the busy afternoon and evening schedule.
    Read more