Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    View of the views and Glacier(s)

    January 31, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    I started the morning at Lake Matheson. While I had picked that spot as an allegedly good coffee spot on my way, I learned that it is much more… the Lake has some pretty impressive views - and reflections on a nice day. Today was not that nice - and super humid - but still okay’ish… and yes, it has a viewpoint that is called view of the views… and it is a great view ☺️. And the coffee was pretty good as well.

    From there I went on to Fox and Franz Joseph Glaciers - I had a booking for a heli-hike on the latter. Which… unfortunately… was canceled due to bad weather…
    But… I was lucky and could snatch a booking for a heli-hike on Fox Glacier. We were a small group - nevertheless with two quite annoying ladies who seemed to be too old for Instagram pics of their own - but didn’t think so themselves…
    Still, it was an amazing trip. A short ride up and down with the heli, and then we had almost 3 hours hopping around on the glacier with crampons - with a bit of rain, but overall pretty good weather. Who knows how long this glacier will still exist. It - weirdly enough - starts at less than 500m above sea level and you can see the sea while hiking it… very cool (pun intended).

    My legs are still sore - but it will be kayaking tomorrow (again, a different tour vs originally booked - for a lack of other customers). And then we’ll see what the weather brings… allegedly, the west coast will see some rain over the next few days (they anticipated that there might be no heli hikes altogether over the next 5 days)…
    Read more