Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Townsville

    May 18, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Monday 15th May, left early and planned to spend the day on Magnetic Island. We took the toilet canister with us, looking for a dump point, which we eventually found after driving around Townsville and suburbs for 30-40 minutes. Our GPS directed us to one site in a shopping centre, which was non-existent, then we finally found a dump point at Lake Ross Dam.
    Back in town, we parked the car in an 8-hour parking bay, then took the Magnetic Island ferry for the 20-minute ride to Magnetic Island. Cost of the ferry was $34 return each.
    We were really looking forward to exploring the island, snorkeling and relaxing, but when we got off the ferry, we were disappointed that there was no information desk or anyone to advise. Most people headed for the bus, which we did not find out until later, was cash only. We could not find anywhere how much the bus cost. (The next day we went to the Information Centre in Townsville and were told it was $4.80 for the bus). After wandering around for a little while, we decided to hire a car, but most of the cars were already out. We managed to hire a little Hyundai Tucson, which allowed us the freedom to come and go, stop as we liked, and to keep our bags in the car instead of carrying them everywhere. Were also disappointed that we could not snorkel as we were advised that there were still stingers around. We explored, went to the bays, had lunch and a walk on the pier then returned the car and waited for the ferry. The hire car cost $100, and cost of fuel for the day was $8, and we maybe only did 20kms on the island. It was probably not the cheapest way to explore the island. Best advice would be to book ahead for a hire car and get a cheaper deal. We had a nice day, and it was good not to have to drive and tow the van, but, but probably would not go to Magnetic Island again.
    Tuesday 16th May, we planned to explore Townsville, so first stop was the Information Centre. The lady was very helpful and gave us a map with lot of things to do and see. Unfortunately, the Aquarium had closed as it was being re-built. The Military Museum was not open on Tuesdays. Castle Hill access road was closed so we could not go to the lookout. Just our luck! We did walk along the Strand, found a nice place for lunch at the Longboard Café, then picked up some supplies on the way home.
    We have been camped for 3 days under the shade of mango trees, so have had minimal sun for solar recharging, so when we got back, we set up the portable solar panels, but it clouded over and then it started to rain, so we ran the car for about an hour, just to give the batteries a boost.
    Estelle asked us to get some groceries for her while in town, so took them over to her which she was most grateful for. Theo took a front wheel of her 1947 grey Fergie tractor so she could take into town to be repaired. Brought some free-range eggs from her for $6, and she gave us some mandarins from her tree which were huge. They were the biggest and sweetest mandarins we have tasted. It was so lovely of her, and she was very grateful for Theo helping her with the wheel and us getting her parmesan cheese while in town.
    While we were out, a travelling bus/motor home arrived in the camp area. We spoke to the owners, Tony and Jade for a while, and they have been travelling and working on stations in the outback. They brought the Greyhound bus and gutted and renovated it completely, and have been driving it around for 15 years, working as they go, mainly on outback stations. Behind it they tow an older Land Cruiser ute.
    We took our chairs over and had a beer with them until it got dark.
    We left our chairs out under the awning while we were out today, and some green ants decided to take up home on Theo’s chair, so he had to get rid of them before he could sit down and relax. I said it was Karma because yesterday he was poking a green ant’s nest on Magnetic Island and I said he will regret doing that! LOL.
    Wednesday, and our last day in Townsville, so we drove to Ingham to see Wallaman Falls, about 50kms outside Ingham. The falls are the largest single drop waterfall in Australia, with the height of the falls 269 mts, and the pool depth 20mt. To get to the top of the waterfalls, we had to drive 27kms on a very, very windy steep road. From the carpark at the top of the falls, there was a walking track to the base of the falls which was another 4kms (which we did not do). We took in the sights from the top, then we drove back down the steep windy road. I hate driving on windy mountain roads, and did suffer a little anxiety and sweaty palms, but luckily Theo is an excellent driver.
    Being gluttons for punishment, we found another lookout on the way back home, just out of Townsville, called Mt Stuart Lookout. Again, another steep and windy road, again more anxiety and sweaty palms for the front seat passenger. I will think twice before we do another lookout!
    Happy to say that I calmed my nerves with a drink or two when we got back to the van.
    Read more