Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 40

    Back to Curraghmore Station

    16 Jun 2023, Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    After a quick walk in the morning, we packed up and headed the short drive back into Cooktown for fuel and water before driving back along the Mulligan Highway and back to Curraghmore Station. Emma and Jason want to go camping and fishing at Lake Tinaroo, so we plan to stay the weekend then all head off early next week. We need to find somewhere to camp that allows caravans, as there are quite a few camping grounds around the lake, but none that are accessible to caravans except for the Caravan Park at Yungaburra.

    After breakfast on Saturday morning, Emma and Billie arrived in the buggy to ask if we could smell the smoke and if we wanted to see the burning off along the highway. Bud and 4 other guys and Jason were burning off along the frontage near the entrance to the Station. Two guys were walking along with drip torches, one guy was driving the dozer creating a firebreak and clearing the scrub, two other guys on the water tanker putting out spot fires and one guy on the quad bike. Bud agists his cattle on the station.

    Emma, Billie and I drove down the highway in the buggy and placed the ‘Smoke Hazard’ signs ahead of the burn, and Theo walked along the side of the road taking photos, as this is not something we usually see. There were so many birds, whistling kites, hawks and others circling over the fire taking the opportunity of a quick meal with all the insects moving around on the ground and being displaced. The bird show was nearly as spectacular as the fire show to watch, with so many of them swooping and flying down in the smoke and fire just to get a feed.

    After a big day, we cooked dinner at our camp, another stew in the camp oven, and Emma brought the mashed potato. After dinner and a drink or two at our camp, then Emma, Jason and Billie headed back to the homestead for an early night, as there was going to be another planned burn tomorrow morning starting at 8am. Theo was going to join the crew as they were one man short, and they hoped to be finished by lunchtime.

    Theo woke early and headed up to the homestead about 7.30am. I stayed in bed for a while reading, had a leisurely start to the day, then got up, and after breakfast, did a couple of loads of washing, some cleaning, and enjoyed some alone time reading and enjoying the tranquility of the bush.

    Before leaving home, I downloaded about 35 books on my kindle, and have read 3 books so far, plus another paperback book I brought about a murder at Palmerville Station which is not far away from where we are travelling, which was very interesting.

    I then started packing up around the camp as we were moving the next day and then drove up to the homestead at the agreed time, but no-one but the dogs were there, so headed back to our campsite.

    About mid-afternoon I could hear the dozer up on the road nearby and then could hear the crackle of fire. I walked up to the hill and could see the fire crew advancing my way.

    As much as logic told me that they all knew that we were camping on the river, and that Theo was on the water tanker, the sound of fire approaching, and the smell of smoke is extremely unnerving. Emma and Billie drove down to check on me, and the dozer driver, Bud also came down while clearing a fire break through the bush, then Jason also came to check on me. Luckily, as there was a lot of greenery, and the fire break had been cut just before our camp, the fire did not come near, but it was still quite unnerving. Emma and I saw the first ‘snake’ which wriggled out of the undergrowth disturbed by the burn off, but it turned out to be a legless lizard. We have not seen any snakes while here.

    Bud Quaid has cattle on this property, so he was clearing the land in case a campfire from one of the campsites got out of control, to protect his cattle. Not sure what the agreement is with Bud and the owner Adam, but Jason worked 2 days and Theo worked Sunday helping his crew clear the undergrowth.
    I think Theo enjoyed his working day, came back dirty and smoky and he had a long hot shower at the homestead, then we had barramundi that Jason cooked for dinner.

    We were having trouble finding a campground (other than the Caravan Park) where we could camp for a couple of days at Lake Tinaroo. Luckily, working with Bud paid off, as he has offered us to camp on his land which fronts on to Lake Tinaroo, which is wonderful. He apparently owns lot of land in FNQ, including the Daintree and has a couple of businesses and is very well known and quite wealthy. The land we are going to camp on was 10 acres (now partly subdivided) with an Air BNB on it, but as it is midweek no one will be there. Perfect timing. Online photos show grassy lawn down to the lake. Looks beautiful. It is on Quaid Court, named after Bud Quaid’s family.

    Bud is a good contact for Jason to have as he employs about 160 people in his businesses, and Jason has showed him that he is a hard worker and has a good relationship with him. When they leave the station, I am sure Jason will not have any trouble getting work until the fishing season starts again.
    Baca lagi