Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Lake Tinaroo

    June 20, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Emma left early with Billie to go to Cairns where Billie had an appointment with a specialist to check on her broken arm. Jason was towing his boat with his recently acquired Toyota Hilux, and we were towing our van, so we were all travelling in separate vehicles. It took us about 2 hours to get to Lake Tinaroo, as we stopped in Mareeba for fuel, and Jason wanted to wash his boat as he had not done it since returning from the boy’s trip to Cape York a week earlier. We arrived at Lake Tinaroo early afternoon.

    Bud had confirmed with his daughter Bo and her husband CJ who live on the property and run the Air BnB that we were welcome to camp on their land. They had no guests booked in until Friday, so timing was perfect. They were so welcoming and friendly. Bo showed us through the house which has 10 beds in 4 bedrooms, a huge lounge and kitchen area. She said we were welcome to use the toilet and bathroom or kitchen if we needed to. Emma and Jason went into the house for the toilet but other that filling our water tanks, we did not need to go into the house.

    Billie had her plaster cast removed while at the hospital and now has a sling which is only temporary until she gets the feel of using her arm again. They gave her back her plaster cast which was pink with sparkles and a bow on it, but it was put in a plastic bag because it smelt really bad and was so dirty. So hard for a 3-year-old to keep it clean while living on a dusty outback station. Billie is staying with Emma and Jason while her mum is overseas but will be going home to Cairns next week.

    We went to the Tolga Pub for a counter meal, which was about 15 minutes’ drive away. Emma had slow cooked some pork and put in the fridge at home but forgot to put it on the list for Jason to pack, and that was going to be our dinner. Oh, well, it will still be there when they get home.
    After a nice meal at the pub, we came back and lit the fire and sat around and had a good belly laugh when Poppy Theo and Billie bounced off each other calling each other funny names. It was hilarious, and I had tears running down my cheeks I was laughing so much.

    The night was cold, and as Emma and Jason and Billie were sleeping in their tent, I lent them an extra blanket which they used. Emma said that they were cosy and warm, but I think we were warmer in the van with the diesel heater on. It is hard to believe that a week ago we were so hot at night we could barely sleep at Elim Beach, and tonight we have the heater on!

    After breakfast we cruised around Lake Tinaroo trying to catch a fish. We came back to camp for lunch and then they headed out again. They then packed up their tent about 5pm and headed back to the Station. We were staying another night, which was fine with Bo and CJ, as they did not have guests until Friday.

    Tomorrow, Wednesday we pack up and head to Innot Hot Springs.
    Read more