Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Travel Day 4: Trains to Saint Jean

    May 17, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Today’s subtitle: Intimations of Intimidation
    This morning I got up at 5 to go to the train station (not impressive: circadian rhythms still a mess). I had been nervous about the train station, and for good reason; it was busy with not a lot of information visible. In France, they don’t list the platform for any given train until the last minute. Once I figured that out it was all fine. Better than fine, actually - the trains are smooth, fast, clean, and precisely on time.
    1. The first train had only two other stops before arriving in Bayonne. The countryside along the way was pretty - lots of green farmland. It reminded me of Ohio but flatter.
    2. Bayonne’s train station is unremarkable but this is where it first became apparent that I am just one of many pilgrims starting tomorrow. So many backpacks! So many backpacks (and backsides!) smaller than mine! Here you see all of the backpacks in the overhead bins of the second train.
    3. and 4. The second train took us into the mountains and then Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port with lovely scenery all along the way.
    Read more