Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    D13: Nájera-Santo Domingo de la Calzada

    May 30, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Mileage: 14.25 long, hot miles
    Elevation gain: 1,355 feet
    Elevation loss: 804 feet
    Weather: cool and sunny to begin, hot and sunny later with little breeze
    Total mileage: 136

    Today was another difficult but beautiful and joyful day. We had coffee and I ate a little before we left Nájera. Once we left the city it was a day of beautiful rolling fields of wheat and vineyards with mountains in the distance. We did encounter some very messy mud on the trail, and I was VERY grateful that we’ve had such great weather overall. We stopped to rest twice - once at Azofra for a breakfast feast at a cafe and then again at the top of a very long steep hill, where an enterprising young man had sodas, fruit, and other snacks available. Most welcome! We crave fruit but of course it’s heavy to carry it with us. We were very happy to arrive in Santo Domingo in the afternoon.

    1. Monasterio de Santa Maria la Real in Nájera. Like quite a few of the very old buildings we’ve seen, it’s having “emergency repairs” done. I’m so glad the government here does what it can to maintain these treasures.
    2. Each state and city has its own Camino markers. Here you also see some of the red rocks near Nájera.
    3. Our €7 feast in Azofra. Those croissants were some of the best we’ve had. They say you should never eat anything bigger than your own head; fortunately I have an giant noggin!
    4. The mud that caked everyone’s shoes and legs the rest of the day. It was a slog!
    5. - 9. More of the fantastic views that no picture can do justice.
    10. It was warm and sunny enough this afternoon that I busted out my parasol. Yes, I know it looks ridiculous, but the shade was welcome!!
    Read more