Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 18

    Day 13 end: Santo Domingo

    31 mai 2023, Espagne ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Santo Domingo de la Calzada is picturesque enough to warrant its own post here. So much history! The food wasn’t great (at least where we ate) but when you’ve walked over a half marathon you don’t care as much!

    There is a network of paradores in Spain - luxury hotels in historical buildings. I’d wanted to stay in one at least once and we did in Santo Domingo. It was amazing! A beautiful old building and the room had a bathtub and especially luxurious sheets - it felt like heaven!

    1. Detail on the Catedral de Santo Domingo de la Calzada
    2. The tower next to the cathedral. As with most things I’ve photographed, this doesn’t do it justice.
    3. Store front. I just liked this one, especially with the reflections in the upper windows and the fact that it’s a bookstore. It’s interesting to see how specialized the shops are here. No Walmart!
    4. There are two paradores in Santo Domingo. This is a feature from the one in which we didn’t stay - the Parador de Santo Domingo.
    5. This is from an artistic installation in front of the parador where we did stay - the Parador de Bernardo de Fresneda. This represents a pilgrim asking for help. There’s a whole thing with chickens in this town.
    6. Lovely golden hour light on “our” parador. 14th century, I think? Whoa.
    7. Inside the parador. So beautiful.
    8. This parador is next to a convent. Here’s a walkway leading to the convent. It felt very peaceful!
    En savoir plus