Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 16/17: Burgos

    June 2, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Maybe everyone else already knew this, but Burgos is beautiful! We entered through an industrial area that wasn’t very pretty, but the older part of the city is just lovely. The woman at the front desk of our hotel recommended that we walk down a paseo by the river instead of through the city on the official camino as we left the city, and this was great advice! (Almost every hotel desk clerk has made a suggestion like this!) We did pop back into the city streets to see the famous cathedral, and it is amazing. My words and photos are utterly inadequate here. Unfortunately it closed too early yesterday and opened too late today for us to be able to go inside. We need to come back to Burgos!

    1. Lion on the Arco de San Juan. I like watching for lions, and these were especially interesting (and well-coiffed) ones.
    2. Street in the old part of the city. It was hopping on a Friday evening!
    3. The vegan feast that we devoured. This is more like what I eat at home, although this is obviously better. I’m enjoying trying Spanish foods but it was nice to eat this way for a meal. We did perhaps negate any health benefits by stopping at a gelateria on the way back to the hotel!
    4. Statue of el Cid near Puente de San Pablo.
    5. Statue of el Cid’s wife. Apparently the only way for a woman to have a statue erected in her honor here is to marry or birth someone important.
    6. Puente de Santa Maria
    7. 8. 9. The famous cathedral. Unbelievable.
    10. On the Paseo by the river.
    Read more