Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Day 17: Burgos to Hornillos del Camino

    June 3, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    Mileage: 14.5
    Altitude gain: 430
    Altitude loss: 564
    Total mileage: 197

    We looked around Burgos a bit after some breakfast and then reluctantly made our way out of town. The route out of town took us by the university, which we enjoyed, and then put into the countryside again.

    Lots of grain fields again today. I was feeling pretty worn out by the heat, such as it was, when we stopped for lunch, but then the afternoon storms rolled in and cooled things off nicely. We did have to walk in the rain for much of the last three miles again, but it wasn’t too bad. We had our first glimpse of the meseta today (albeit clouded over) before descending into Hornillos for the night. We were so tired and wanted to eat dinner before that tends to happen here, so we had a delicious improvised feast from the little grocery store and went to bed by 7:00.

    1. A bit of today’s trail ran alongside the road, which fortunately wasn’t a busy one.
    2. A little church in Rabé de las Calzadas. Pretty sure this is a nun - she was leaving the church as we approached.
    3. We decided that this is the mayor of Rabé de las Calzadas. He led us all through the town and then disappeared with another pilgrim after we left town.
    4. - 8. Views as we climbed onto the meseta and tried to outrun the rain.
    9. The view down into Hornillos
    10. Made it! Of course this word has nothing to do with horns, but we enjoyed it anyway.
    Read more