Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4–7

    Teaming up in Mexico City

    April 5 in Mexico ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    On to Mexico City! Here we met up with our friends Albert and Orsi, who will be travelling with us for the next 10 days or so.

    Given we only had 2 1/2 days in Mexico City, we decided to make the most of it - though of course we only scratched the surface of this bewilderingly huge city. Leaving our Airbnb in the mornings, we found ourselves in the middle of the leafy, bougie Roma district. I was struck by how green the city is: every street is lined with trees; every cafe, bar or restaurant has vines or plants in the corners. I think this contributed to the light, airy feeling, despite the constant roar of cars.

    At the museum of anthropology we learned about the many complex pre-hispanic civilizations in Mexico, and at the museum of modern art we enjoyed the works of Frida Kahlo and Abraham Angel. We challenged ourselves to sit and stare at one painting (?) for 20 minutes, a fun experience I'd like to repeat. These 2 museums are beautiful works of architecture, full of light, greenery and impressive flourishes.

    We ate and drank our fill - Agua Fresca (flavoured water) from street stalls, tacos, chilaquiles, quesadillas, mezcal margaritas, gorditas...we probably ate a little too much, but it's hard to resist!

    Oh, and we saw a (partial) solar eclipse, and a bonkers fun Lucha Libre show!

    Now we're on our way to Puebla, which at 1.7 million people is a lot smaller than the 20 million metropolis of Mexico City.
    Read more