Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Titanic Blarney

    June 15, 2015 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The chapel in Cobh has 49 bells, which ring beautifully keeping time all day. Coming into the city, the incredibly steep hill taking me down to the water make me think of SanFrancisco, although I've never been there.

    Cobh`s claim to fame though, is not the brighly painted buildings on slanted streets. It's the fact that it was the last stop before the Titanic went to sea. After breakfast, before heading out of town, we stopped in at the Titanic Experience, where we stood on the actual deck, in front of the same Georgian style window, where the original passengers would've been seen off. A true study in opulence, and everything gone wrong. Thinking over such an accumulation of bad decisions was more moving than I expected.

    Every town and bridge and window in Ireland is bursting with flowers right now. But that certainly did not prepare me for the beautiful grounds of Blarney Castle. Even Ireland's only Poison Garden looked inviting when sun dappled on those immaculately kept grounds. I certainly could've spent much more time there, an probably would've, if not for the need for eloquence. Up steep stone spiral steps, and around the ramparts we waited in line like some ancient theme park goers, to lay down on our backs and bend off a grate to kiss the blarney stone upside down.

    Signs all over the castle explained, Blarney is not baloney. It is merely the varnishing of the truth. You can tell me if it worked.
    Read more