Satellite
  • Machu Picchu to Cusco, Peru

    November 13, 2019 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Train ride From Machu Picchu to Cusco. Private Car to House, Casa Killaunu in the Sacred Valley.

    We had breakfast at the hotel, and they had a rather unique orange juice machine that fascinated Don. After breakfast, Lee, Judy and Don went looking for, and found, some empanadas that we could eat on the train taking us from Machu Picchu to Cusco that morning. Right near the food stall was another stall selling, among other things, wide brimmed hats. Lee bought a lovely mauve one with the Machu Picchu logo on the front.

    The train ride was a great adventure. After serving us some refreshments they put on a remarkable fashion show accompanied by some very lively music and a person dressed up like a Peruvian Shaman. The young lady who had been our server, modeled many different outfits, shawls and sweaters, and Lee bought a poncho sweater that could be changed to give at least 5 different styles. The young man modeled many scarves and sweaters and Don bought one of them. We had arranged to have a driver pick us up at the Cusco railway station and drive us directly to our 4-night house rental “Casa Killaunu” in The Sacred Valley near Ollantaytambo.
    We were met at the train station by our driver and van. When he turned off the main road, he had to constantly stop and ask for directions. The roads were very narrow and rough, making us think that there must be some mistake, but we finally found the house which turned out to be fantastic!

    Adam, the property manager, met us at the gate, let us in and explained the workings of the house. Don and Lee got the large master bedroom upstairs, Judy and Mike and Gary and Karina took the two very spacious double rooms on the main floor. When the trip was being planned, we were offered the services of a cook to come in to do meals for us including dinner the first night. There were 2 girls who came to prepare the food and the cook. The quality and size of the portions were over the top. And the price was exceptional value. Later into our dinner, there was a violent thunder, lightning and rainstorm and the power went out. We made do with our iPhone lights and a few candles. Unfortunately, after we all went to bed, the roof over Gary and Karina’s room leaked badly causing Karina’s bed to be soaked and made for some impromptu reorganizing of sleeping arrangements. Gary just moved the dry bed out of the way of the leak for Karina, and he slept on the couch in the living room. We were oblivious to all of this going on downstairs and only found out the next morning.
    Read more