Satellite
  • Day 8

    Niagara Falls...eat your heart out.

    October 19, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Not that I have been to Niagara so I suppose I shouldn't comment, but these falls are magnificent. Located on the border of Brazil and Argentina, we flew from Rio to Iguassu (Brazil) and checked out the falls on the Brazilian side. The water is a bit brown from recent rain but it did not really detract from the overall effect. We saw a toucan in the wild but not really able to get a good photo of it. Managed to get a bit wet on a walkway that went out along the front of one of the falls.

    We then headed to our hotel which happened to be on the Argentinian side and meant a border crossing, first Brazil, then Argentina. Not really a hassle but it is time consuming. Hotel is a Mercure hotel, quite new, nice rooms and attractive pool but I feel it would have been better to have a hotel on the Brazilian side because we went to dinner and a show one night (excellent) but this meant another border crossing, and another to the airport.

    The next day we visited the Argentinian side which was more from the top of the falls looking down. About 1km of walkways led to the Devils Throat which is one of the most spectacular falls. After we opted to go on a boat safari that takes you to the base of the falls. Quite a trek down to the boat and with the warning "You will get wet" we boarded the boat for 20 minute adventure. Was it worth it? You bet it was. Plenty of laughs and squeals as we headed into the base of the falls. Brad had Luke's GoPro so we were able to film it.

    Final day in Iguassu and we went to the Parque de Aves (bird park) which we really enjoyed. The setting was very peaceful and we had the chance to observe toucans and macaws in the huge walk through avaries. After this a trip to the airport for our 6th flight, this time to Lima to begin our Peruvian adventure.
    Read more