Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Getting a little high...in elevation.

    October 22, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Arrived at Cusco, quite a large city at a high elevation where the temperature is crisp and the air is thinner. This city is over 1000 metres higher than the highest point in Australia and as such the altitude certainly did have an effect on most of our group, some worse than others. Brad and I had been taking altitude sickness pills in preparation and while we were feeling a slight tingling in hands and feet (a side effect) and light-headedness, we did not actually feel nauseous or have a headache as some others did. We were not however staying in Cusco yet but heading out to the Sacred Valley which is in the vicinity of Machu Picchu.

    Our local guide Celio, is Incan (or at least Incan blood) and is quite a character but also extremely knowledgeable. Our first stop along the way was to visit a traditional weaving demonstration. Now, I have been to these handcraft type demos before but this was really fascinating. A simple snack type lunch was provided including guinea pig (tried it but won't be trying again). Of course they had jumpers, scarves etc. for sale but the difference was the prices were extremely reasonable. Brad and I both bought a jumper for 70 soles (Peruvian money) which is equivalent to about $28 AUD.

    After winding our way through dramatic mountain scenery we finally arrived at Sacred Valley and our hotel - Aranwa Sacred Valley. What a surprise it was! Without a doubt this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in.... and huge. A couple of photos to show the area.

    The next day we had a walk around the Incan town of Ollantaytambo then drove up into the mountains to visit the children’s project, Munaychay (an orphanage) and where we had lunch cooked in a Peruvian earth oven - bit like the New Zealand Hangi.

    To complete the day we visited Pisac market. More souvenir shopping... same, same, but different. I am not really a good shopper.

    So ends our visit to the Sacred Valley - next stop Machu Picchu.
    Read more