Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Macchu Picchu- the lost city of the Inca

    October 24, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We have been in South America two weeks now and have just visited one of the highlights of our tour - Machu Picchu . Once again the weather has been kind to us with a sunny day. It may also be because a bird pooped on my shoulder and they do say that it is good luck.

    We left our spectacular Sacred Valley accommodation (would have liked to spend a little more time here) with an overnight bag as the rest of our luggage is going to Cusco, and boarded the Vistadome train at Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes (also known as Machu Picchu town). The 90 minute train ride was very civilised with great views and a snack service as well. The final leg of the journey was a half hour bus ride up the mountain on a dirt road with lots of hairpin bends.
    We have arrived!

    Passports are needed to enter the site (bonus being you get a Machu Picchu stamp) and it is a short walk to get a classic shot. We explored the place for several hours and our guide gave us very detailed information about the history. He grew up in Machu Picchu town and his father was a maintenance worker on the site. Brad climbed to the Sun Temple to get the money shot (the one you see in the brochures) but I chose not to as uneven steps without handrails make me nervous. A couple of the ladies booked to do the Inca Trail (1 day) which took them about 8 or 9 hours. Kudos to them but they did look quite exhausted when they arrived.

    That night we stayed at El MaPi hotel, had the morning to explore the town (more markets, surprise , surprise !) before heading back down on the Vistadome train while being treated to some colourful entertainment and a fashion show, and then a 2 hour bus ride back to Cusco .
    Read more