Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Beautiful, Wonderful (wet) Copenhagen

    July 27, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Copenhagen
    Weather - started fine, then wet - 22°C ( then 16°C)
    Steps - 13,500 ~ 8.5km

    We started the day early mainly because Brad was concerned about one of the tyres on the car where he misjudged and hit a kerb made of rough cobblestone, taking a chunk out of the side. The tyre people assured him it was not a problem so we continued on our journey.

    We caught the train into the city - the Danes have some very nice trains. We were in a carriage that was a silent zone - no talking allowed. We were in the city in 15 mins as it was an express train. First thing was HOHO tickets and we are on or way to exploring Copenhagen. So what do we know about Copenhagen? Not much it seems. It has a maritime history and was the home of Hans Christian Andersen of The Little Mermaid fame (and of course Princess Mary).

    First stop Statue of The Little Mermaid - quite small really, then the changing of the guard at the royal palace - not quite Buckingham Palace but the same principle. We took a boat ride through the canals which was quite enjoyable and took us to Nyhavn, an area of colourful houses along the waterfront. After that the rain started and we decided to abandon our walk around some attractive gardens and make our way back to our accommodation.

    I think Copenhagen is an attractive city but unfortunately we did not see it in the best light - i think it rains a lot in Denmark. Tomorrow we make our way towards Hirtshals where we are catching the car ferry to Faroe Islands then to Iceland.
    Read more