Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Iceland - Day 2 - Geothermal day

    August 4, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Akureyri - Northern Iceland
    Weather - sunny / cloudy 🌤
    Distance - 215km
    Steps - 22000 or 14km and 60 floors

    I call today our geothermal day because we visited areas where there was/is geothermal activity. First we walked around an area near Lake Myvatn that had some pseudo lava craters, formed when molten lava flows over water. We walked around the lake accompanied by millions of gnats - fortunately not the biting kind.

    From there we went to an area that has a kind of lava labyrinth with strange lava formations which was quite nice to walk through. Then we drove to the Myvatn Nature Baths which is a smaller version of the more famous Blue Lagoon near Reykjavik, a hot mineral spring, but we didn't go for a swim because basically all it is is a heated swimming pool that costs a fortune to use (as does everything in Iceland - it's a very expensive country)

    Over the hill and round the corner and we came to the solfataros of Námaskrõ which has boiling mud springs and smelly steam vents. Reminds me a lot of the Thermal Wonderland near Rotorua New Zealand. Then onto the Krafla area where there were craters and lava fields. Seemed to me that we had to walk an awful long way to look at something that really wasn't that interesting, but Brad thought it was OK.

    Final stop of the day was Gođafoss waterfall or waterfall of the Gods. Nice waterfall... but aren't they all! Made our way to accommodation- very nice view overlooking a fjord- where a couple of cruise ships (Cunard - Queen Elizabeth and a small Princess ship) were making their way out.
    Read more