Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Edinburgh Military Tattoo

    August 17, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We have always wanted to watch the Tattoo after watching it on TV for years and years (usually around Christmas time) so when we were planning this trip we booked our tickets about 8 months ago. To make it a little special we thought we would splurge a little and have the Amber package which included a 4 course meal plus good seats to watch the Tattoo. However, when Brad booked it with the travel agent he did not realise there was the standard Amber package and there was the super duper Amber package which had all this plus a souvenir plus wine, plus whisky, plus a seat in the Royal box for the best views for the performance (...plus extra $). Anyway, what was done, was done, and I must say it was worth every cent.

    So we had to get dressed in our glad rags because we were sitting in the Royal box and you never know who we might be sitting next to. (Actually, Prince William and Kate were in Edinburgh the previous day and guests at the place we were staying at saw them in town). The meal we had was excellent and we were then escorted to our seats where we were even provided with a blanket. The weather was fine which was a bonus because it has been raining a lot this summer.

    The performance itself was excellent, the precision marching, drummers and bagpipes, Highland dancers plus special performances from India and Japan and representations of all the Scottish Clans and a reenactment of the Jacobite Rebellion . The time went so quickly that we were sorry it was over. I'm sure the photos do not do it justice. I would certainly recommend this to anyone.
    Read more