Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Lochs and Highlands

    August 19, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Loch Ness to Loch Lomand
    Weather - some showers

    Getting a bit behind in my blogging so the next few entries may be a bit brief.

    Today was an interesting day, from Lochs to the Scottish Highlands, and there is no doubt that that this part of Scotland is both beautiful and dramatic.

    We started early with a visit to the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre... in search of the elusive Loch Ness monster. It offered many theories on whether the sea monster does or does not exist (and in all likelihood all the supposed sightings can be explained) but I doubt you would convince the 1000 odd people who claim to have seen Nessie.

    After that it was just a short drive to Urquhart Castle, right on the shore of Loch Ness. A beautiful location and Brad was convinced he saw Nessie pop her head up (hahaha! ). It was quite interesting about the history of the castle which is well over 1000 years old.

    Continued down along the Lochs to Fort William and then, as it was on the way, we thought we would have a look at Skyfall (the house from the James Bond movie). It was down a bit of a a goat track, single lane only, and when we got there I think it was the place but quite a lot of movie magic has occurred so I'm not really sure. This is in the area of Loch Lomand where the hills/ mountains are massive and spectacular.

    Scotland is known for their Highland Cows (insert Scottish accent and say 'Heilan coos') and we did see a couple which would have made a lovely photo but unfortunately there was no where to pull over and take a picture.

    We leave Scotland tomorrow to catch the ferry to Northern Ireland for a few days before returning to Scotland/Wales/England again.
    Read more