Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Portsmouth to Dover

    August 31, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Southern England
    Weather - can't remember, some rain, some sun

    Leaving Devon we drove to Portsmouth where Brad wanted to see HMS Victory which is still commissioned by the Royal Navy and was Admiral Nelson's flagship. The audio commentary took us through what it would have been like to serve on this ship and also the last moments and was killed at the Battle of Waterloo by the French. Nelson did not want to be buried at sea as most people at battle were, so his body was placed in a barrel of brandy (or it may have been rum - cant remember the details) to be transported back to England. Not sure where he is buried but they made a statue of him and stuck him on a pillar in the middle of Trafalgar Square.

    We stayed at Chichester, visiting Arundel Castle which was a pleasant couple of hours but Brad forgot to bring the camera so we don't have any photos. I did take some on my phone but they are not that good. Arundel Castle had lovely gardens and expensive furnishings (dozens od Chippendale chairs, elaborate Wedgewood dining sets etc) and there is still a family living in one wing of the castle.

    The next day we headed to Dover where we walked around the top of the White Cliffs of Dover before boarding the ferry to Dunkirk. Goodbye England, Hello France!
    Read more