Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    African Massage on the way to Masa Mara

    October 15, 2019 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    The trip to Masa Mara from Lake Nakuru was only about 200km but it took the best part of a day to drive there along some of the roughest roads I think I've ever travelled. In fact, just sitting in the 4WD my fitbit said I did 22,000 steps, over 14km walking, and climbed over 300 floors. No wonder I was tired. Hence the African massage.

    It's amazing to see how the scenery changed. Climbing up our of the Rift Valley, the farmland was very fertile and being used for crops and veggies etc. It was lush and green. We then drove onto the open plains - very dry, very little vegetation. Many of the villages we passed were not attractive, very poor and lots of rubbish laying around from market days.

    Masa Mara is almost on the border of Tanzania and close to the Serengeti National Park. At the right time of year we would have witnessed the Great Migration where enormous herds of Wildebeest pass through in search of good grazing land and often fall victim to lions and crocodiles when making the river crossings. I've seen it on TV and it is quite a spectacle. However, the migration had already passed through this area about a month ago so it was a shame we missed it. Still, this park is known for it's cats so maybe here we will complete our big 5 and see the leopard!
    Read more