Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Masa Mara - part 1

    October 15, 2019 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Before we checked into our accommodation we had a game drive through the park mainly because the place we were staying was at the other end of the property.

    Within minutes our guide pointed out a cheetah who appeared to be eyeing off some impala. We waited for some time in anticipation of a chase but it seemed the cheetah lost interest... or was prepared to wait much longer than we were.

    Driving further on we came to a solitary tree under which lay 5 male cheetahs. Apparently they are known by National Geographic as the five brothers who have been filming them for some time. We were lucky to come across them so easily.

    We are staying at Fig Tree Camp which is described as luxury tented camping (maybe even glamping). So imagine canvas and screened walls with zippered doors and a fully tiled modern bathroom. The camp almost seems to be an island and we have a river bank outside our front door complete with hippos and warthogs (The bank is too steep for hippos to climb). There are monkeys and baboons around and there is a young Maasai man who constantly wanders around making sure the baboons don't try and get into the tents. As far as camping goes it is not too bad.
    Read more