Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    To the Dead Sea

    May 9, 2022 in Jordan ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Left Amman en route to the Dead Sea visiting first the citadel (well Brad did) which turned out to be another lot of ruins and not as interesting as ones already seen.

    On the way we called into Mount Nebo which is recognised as the site where Moses viewed the promised land but died in this area without ever reaching it. Our guide was excited because it was a clear day although to our mind it was quite hazy. Still, the view was spectacular. There was also a church on the site that had elaborate mosiac floors.

    This area is renowned for mosaics as we visited yet another church with an ancient mosiac floor as well as a workshop showing mosaics being made and of course available for purchase (could have done without this).

    The highlight however, was floating in the Dead Sea. It is the most bizarre experience as you bobbed around - felt a bit like trying to sit on a small boogie board but was hard to keep your balance. Brad slapped the black mud on himself which is supposed to have health giving properties. He really enjoyed the experience. I found it energy draining - bit like sitting in a spa for too long and I managed to get some water splashed in my eyes and the extreme saltiness made them sting. I think I much prefer a normal pool.

    Only here for one night, tomorrow we had to Petra - probably the number one tourist destination in Jordan.
    Read more