Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Jerusalem to Bethlehem

    May 17, 2022 in Palestine ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We left our hotel for the Mt of Olives which had commanding views over Jerusalem. From there we went to the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus went to pray after the last supper and from where he was arrested. There is also a church with 12 domes that was funded by 12 different nations (hence the 12 domes)

    Just out of Jerusalem we visited Yad Vashem which is the Jewish Holocaust Memorial. We spent 3 hours here in what was a very interesting, moving and often confronting account of what happened to the Jews leading up to and during WW2. Our guide was an Australian girl whose parents were Holocaust survivors who were rehomed in Melbourne after the war. Brad could have spent many more hours reading all the plaques and looking at all the photographs. (No photographs permitted in the memorial)

    From this sombre activity we moved onto Bethlehem visiting the Shepherds Field where the angels appeared to the shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus. There is a church there that has amazing acoustics and our guide was trying to encourage us to sing a Christmas carol, however we were a little shy. Fortunately a group from Africa (or maybe Fiji or New Guinea) arrived to show us how is done. Yes, the acoustics are amazing!

    We completed the day by looking at some Bethlehem graffiti walls including some works by Banksy, and of course the Nativity Church where Jesus was born. Of course it is no longer a stable. We also had dinner with a local Christian family which seemed a little awkward at first (a group of strangers rocking up to someone's home), but it turned out to be a very pleasant evening. What is really strange is there is the Nativity church ringing its bells 33 times early in the morning while at a similar time there will be the Muslim call to prayer. An unusual mix.
    Read more