Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Ephesus and Sirince

    May 25, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Based at Selcuk, we had a busy day starting with a trip to Ephesus. We had been to Ephesus about 8 years ago and nothing much had changed except it was probably hotter and possibly less crowded although there were still plenty of people there. Visited the terrace houses this time though which featured excellent examples of mosaics and frescos.

    Made the obligatory stop at a handicraft shop (no, not a carpet place although I think this may present itself later in the week). It was a leather goods place and we launched into a fashion parade of leather jackets. All good until a couple of us (yes, me!) were pulled up on the catwalk to model a jacket. Hardly model material but there is a picture of me strutting my stuff. At 60% off they were still out of anyone's budget, but I still wouldn't want one anyway.

    Checked out the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, then headed up into the mountains to the village of Sirince for some fruit wine tasting (meh!), a bit of shopping, and then to a cooking class making a typical Turkish meal which we then enjoyed at a local restaurant. Even had a bit of excitement when the roof of the BBQ area caught fire, but we were too busy taking photos of our food.

    All in all, a really great day!
    Read more