Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Bern & Interlaken (Day 1), Switzerland

    August 19, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 90 °F

    What we did:
    - Slept in a bit and then fumbled morning breakfast in town by not being ready in time so we ended up grabbing coffee and a sandwich on the hour train to Bern.
    - Wandered along the crystal clear, deep green river Aare through the capital city of Bern. We WILL be coming back! In the summer they have a tradition where they put their stuff in dry bags and float this river for miles through town. On this 85 degree Saturday the river was full of people enjoying the float - it looks so peaceful and refreshing. The fomo was real.
    - Climbed up to the Rosengarden park overlooking Bern to have a nice outdoor lunch and enjoy the scenic views. Steph spilled salad dressing all over her white pants making it look like she had an accident.
    - Hour train into Interlaken and quick walk to our Airbnb…. We may have been swindled on this booking.. The bed sheets had not been cleaned/were in a ball (fortunately they had a washing machine so we cleaned them ourselves) and this was an attic apartment with no AC so steaming hot on the 90 degree day. Also no door to our attic! So open for anyone in the building to technically just come up. We opened the window for a bit but bugs got in so we had to close it….Later that night contactless blind Trent stumbled right into a MASSIVE 2-3 inch long spider hanging from the door frame… maybe the first bit of morale dip on the trip.
    - After checking in we did hit the grocery store for a quick sandwich dinner and walked around town before crashing early.
    - Debated going up to the Harder Kulm but decided to save $$ and see if we thought it was worth it later on since it only gives you a view of Interlaken. We opted for a quick TV episode/reading instead.

    What we ate:
    - Coffee and Bachman sandwich on train for breakfast
    - Lunch at Restaurant Rosengarden in Bern, including good pasta, fish, and Prosecco!
    - Sandwiches from the grocery store for dinner (Switzerland coop’s have solid premade food).

    Fun facts:
    - A big “coming of age” moment for Swiss kids in the Bern area is the first time they get to float the Aare with their parents.
    - Weeknights after work people will “float”home from the office. Per Jenna’s point, undetermined what they do with their laptop.
    Read more