Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Interlaken (Day 2) - Mürren & Gimmelwald

    August 20, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    What we did:
    - Canyoning day! Picked us up at 9am to bring us to the shop and put on our wetsuit, helmets and lifejacket. It was a big group going as a mix of Americans, hungarians, Swiss, Brits, Spaniards, and French. It was a 30 minute drive up in the vans to the mountain and then 1-1.5 hours in the canyon!
    - The trail went through a 3-5 foot wide glacial river with large rock faces on both sides (i.e the canyon). Super cold glacial water so shout out to the wetsuits and 85 degree temps! Steph was still numb and shivering by the end. The trail was a mix of climbing through the river/rocks, sliding down rock faces into deep pools, jumping 10/15ft into other pools, and rope repelling down.
    - We grabbed a beer in the shop with the other guests before heading back to the BnB.
    - After regrouping, we took the trains/gondolas up to Murren! Absolute awe the whole way up. Walked the town and enjoyed the scenic overlook with some beers and Rosti while admiring the hang gliders (and freaking Trent out for our paragliding excursion the next day)
    - Walked the 30 mins down from Murren to Gimmelwald and possibly single best views and most peaceful walk we may have ever had. Stunned the whole way down
    - Gimmelwald is a postcard town - small swiss chalets with panoramic views smack right in the mountain. Stopped for beers at an idyllic patio at the Pension Gimmelwald overlooking it all.
    - BIG EXCITING NEWS - Mid Gimmelwald beers Jess and Joe facetimed us to tell us that they are officially engaged!! Great time catching up with them on the big day! Steph had been tracking Jess on “FindMyFriends” for a good 72 hours hoping to guess when it was going to happen

    What we ate:
    - Made eggs and sandwiches in the airbnb for breakfast/lunch
    - Snack of our 1st ROSTI at Hotel Alpenruh. Essentially a skillet of potatoes, swiss raclette cheese, ham onions and pickles 🔥🔥🔥. Trent was in heaven.
    - Another grocery store sandwich for dinner

    Fun Facts:
    - Trent forgot to tell them he had a previous knee injury until after we were in the canyon, which our guides weren’t thrilled about, but was easier to stomach than the man last week who let them know he had severe epilepsy once in there.. knee hung strong though!
    - Steph was shocked every time she was dunked in the canyon because it was soooo cold. She would have floated over waterfalls a couple of times if Trent wasn’t there to catch her!
    Read more