Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Zermatt, Switzerland (Day 2)

    August 25, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☁️ 72 °F

    What we did:
    - Woke up and had a nice breakfast of breakfast bars and hard boiled eggs that we made the night before. We walked through town and took the Sonnegga cogwheel to the Sonnegga outlook. We hiked part of the "5 Lakes Trail" to get to lunch at Chez Vrony. We were intending to the whole 5 Lakes Trail but after reading some poor reviews of it we opted into just hanging on the mountain the rest of the day.
    - We planned the lunch at Chez Vrony a while back for Trent's birthday. The restaurant has a massive deck with umbrellas and lounges with great views of the Matterhorn. You can only get to the restaurant via hiking, biking, or skiing (in the winter). They gave us a free champagne toast to start for Trent’s birthday.
    - We were planning to do more hiking in the afternoon but Chez Vrony was advertising their sister bar/restaurant which happened to be only a 10 minute hike away with even better views. Needless to say we opted out of any further hikes and enjoyed some drinks and coffees at the sister bar, Paradise.
    - We took the cogwheel back down to Zermatt and picked up little things for dinner from the Coop since we were so full from lunch. We capped it off by watching Jack Ryan and going to bed early. It was a wonderful day full of good drinks, great weather, and views!

    What we ate:
    - hard boiled eggs and yogurt from Coop for breakfast
    - Chez Vrony - we ordered 2 glasses of white wine, a summer salad, Swiss rösti, risotto, and THE chez burger. All was absolutely delicious! They capped it all off with a chocolate cake for Trent’s birthday.
    - Sandwiches, salads from co-op for dinner.

    Fun facts:
    - Zermatt offers year round skiing.
    - We decided that Zermatt is our favorite ski town, even without being there during ski season! It seems that most US ski villages have tried to copy the Zermatt village, building structures, and vibes.
    Read more