Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Interlaken (Day 6) & Zermatt (Day 1)

    August 24, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    What we did:
    - Woke up in Wengen sad to leave the Jungfrau region, but pumped to keep moving! About four hours of trains to our final destination of Zermatt, so we cut the travel in half with an amazing pitstop in Kandersteg. - We put our luggage in a locker at the train station, grabbed a quick coffee at Schweizerhof bar looking up at the mountains and then took the gondola to the top of the mountain. We’re back in the land of greenish blue glacier lakes - Lake Oeschinensee is gorgeous.
    - We took a two hour hike around the lake before enjoying our lunch on a bench at the water's edge. There were a couple of Brits whining about the water temperature that temporarily scared us off from swimming. But before potential regret kicked in, Trent took the plunge and dove in. The Brits were right! It was freeeezing, but super refreshing to swim around and enjoy the Mountain views. Steph opted for warmth on shore and documenting Trent's swim with her camera.
    - We finished up our hike and trek down from the lake, grabbed some rather large beers in town (at Schweizerhof again) and continued the remaining two hours onto Zermatt. Exhausted from the last few days we grabbed take out dinner and watched some TV/read on the couch in our very nice Airbnb before an early bedtime. Daniel 🖕.
    - We were in love at first sight walking through the picturesque Zermatt ski town - might be back for winter ski season! We can tell this is what Vail and others have tried to emulate.

    What we ate:
    - To-go breakfast quiches coffee and pastries from Bakeri Konditorei. Also bought sandwiches there for lunch.
    - Trent’s 1st Euro Kebab at "Take It Doner" in Zermatt

    Fun Facts:
    - Zermatt is consistently voted #1 or #2 ski resort in Switzerland and always the top priced lift tickets
    Read more