Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Lake Como, Italy (Days 1 & 2)

    August 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 59 °F

    What we did:
    - We spent two and a half days in Como and stayed in the town of Menaggio.
    - We got up really early from Zermatt on day 1 and took 4 trains, a taxi, and a bus to get us to Menaggio around 4pm. Since it was a Sunday most of the busses weren’t running when we reached Lugano, so Trent sweet talked our way onto a bus and we got to Menaggio at about 4pm after a nice scenic bus ride around Lake Lugano and Lake Como. It was quite cloudy that day so we walked around Menaggio and had dinner at Pizzeria Lugano.
    - We woke up the next day (Trent’s birthday - woohoo!) to some rain and had breakfast at the B&B with an older Dutch couple that was very friendly. We stopped at the pharmacy because Steph woke up with her eye swollen shut and got some allergy medicine. We headed to the ferry stop to make it to our 12:00pm lunch reservation for Trents birthday at Veranda dei Pescatore in Varenna. The rain was drenching and we were completely soaked (shoes, clothes, everything) by the end of our 10 minute walk to the restaurant. The restaurant applauded our determination and gave us free champagne and blankets while we tried to tough it out under the awning outside. We eventually moved inside and had a wonderful first Italian meal - great food and great wine! We headed back to Menaggio and hung around the town and had a very chill dinner at a cafe before heading back to the B&B.
    - On our last day in como we had planned to rent a boat for half the day but the wind made the lake too rough for us to go out. We ended up picking up snacks for a picnic and heading over to Bellagio on the ferry. Sat on a bench on the lake and ate our lunch made of amazing Italian meats and cheeses. Walked around Bellagio and got our first Italian gelato - so good! We then decided we hadn't seen enough of a Varenna the day before, so we took the ferry over to Varenna from Bellagio. We walked around the town and stumbled upon a great hotel bar with fantastic outdoor seating and views of the lake. Definitely the highlight of the day and we spent a few hours there. Took the ferry back to Menaggio at the end of the day and wrapped up Como at our favorite pizza joint - Pizzeria Lugano!

    What we ate:
    - Pizzeria Lugano: Diavola Pizza and Mushroom Pizza night 1. Diavola was the favorite! A calzone and bolognese pasta on night 3.
    - La Veranda Dei Pescatore: Burrata and tomatoes, meet and cheese plate, lake fish risotto, and mixed grilled fish. Great bottle of red wine: Viandante.
    - Gelateria del Borgo: Steph got lemon and strawberry and Trent got lemon, strawberry, and melon.
    - Hotel Royal Victoria: Olives, chips, pretzels, nuts, with a couple of Aperol Spritzes!
    - Cafe Central - a couple of paninis, a beer, and cappuccino for dinner night two since we were so full from Trent’s birthday lunch.
    - Picked up bread, salami, prosciutto, and some cheese for a picnic on the lake in Bellagio on day 2.

    Fun facts:
    - Steph is either allergic to Como or the detergent used at the B&B. We decided she looked like Will Smith in Hitch every time she woke up in Como with her eye shut.
    - There are two pharmacies in Italy, one with a green cross that sells medicine similar to what you would find at a Walgreens in the states, and one with a Red Cross that sells botanical/home remedy type medicine.
    - Steph and Trent are pleasantly surprised by prices in Italy! Scandinavia and Swiss prices have made them appreciate the Italian prices.
    - Italy doesn’t understand the concept of time lol. Nothing runs on time (ferries, trains, busses) and this has been very frustrating for us.
    - Steph now wants to recreate an Italian patio/pergola with trellises, lanterns, and a climbing tree/plant in our backyard after being at the Royal Victoria.
    Read more